Sunday, February 24, 2013

February 24, 2013

ONLY LOVE CAN DISTINGUISH HATE!


Do you have people in your life who don't like you very well? Are there people who stay away from your immediate family members because of the way they feel about you? These are a few of the things I have gone through in my own life. One thing we want in our lives is to be accepted by our extended family members; however, sometimes this does not happen. For instance, when I was born, many of my half-siblings were not too happy that I came into the world. For years, I had to be surrounded by their hate and animosity. I never understood while I was young why my brothers and sisters hated me, so as time went by I accepted their hate on a personal level, and I began to blame myself for why my brothers and sisters stayed away from my mother and father.




There were many times in my life where I was angry and resentful toward my siblings for not accepting me as part of the family. Instead of being accepting of their feelings toward me, I tried to force them to like me. I tried to force them to treat me like a sister. I was notorious for starting arguments and creating drama. What I didn't realize is I was treating the situation in the wrong manner. Hate cannot be distinguished by the return feelings of hate. Hate can only be squelched by love! ♥



Today, I don't have an extended family. However, I don't feel hatred, resentment, anger, or animosity toward my extended family members who have chosen not to accept me. Instead, I send them all peace, blessings, and lots of love, and I wish them the best in their lives. There is one thing that my husband has taught me in the 23 years that we have been together, and that is we cannot force people to love us or even to like us. However, that doesn't mean that we have to return those unkind feelings. The late, great Martin Luther King Jr. once said, "Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that!"


No comments:

Post a Comment