Sunday, January 22, 2012

January 22, 2012

FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!!!


When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? Did you follow your childhood dreams, or did you get side tracked somewhere along the way? Sometimes our childhood dreams can get foiled by the people close to us, and those people may advise us to take our career choice in a totally different direction. For instance, when I was a little girl, I wanted to be a teacher. However, my mother had other plans. She sat me down when I was eight years old, and she told me to get college out of my head. She told me that I would get married and have children like she and my sisters had done. So, I forgot about college, and I got married when I was 20 years old just two years after graduating from high school. 

As the years went by, I decided that I wanted to pursue my dream of going to college, so I enrolled in the University of Phoenix, and I earned an Associates degree in Business Management. I was studying for my Bachelors degree when my husband became ill with cancer, so I stopped taking classes. In the last few years, I have struggled finding a job that suited me. I even went back to working in the fast food industry for a few months; however, I was still unsatisfied. 

Then just two weeks ago, I received a call from a company that works with autistic children, and they wanted me to come in for an interview. In order to be considered for the position, I had to have five people who knew me well to write me personal as well as professional references. I received the call this past Thursday, and I was offered the job! This is my dream job of working with autistic and behaviorally troubled youth! My college education as well as my patience landed me my dream job!!! I know I will love it, and I followed my dreams!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment