Saturday, February 19, 2011

February 19, 2011

"BE TOLERANT OF EACH OTHER'S FOIBLES!"

Foibles! Isn't that a fun word? It just popped into my head, and something inside told me to write about foibles. First one must understand the meaning of the word, foible. According to Webster's New World Dictionary, a foible is a small weakness in character. Now, after understanding the definition of the word, I think it is pretty safe to say that everyone has at least one foible.

Some of us have an easier time distinguishing our foibles than others. For instance, I am extremely emotional and very sensitive. My feelings get hurt very easily, and it is nothing for me to be crying my eyes out during any kind of movie. It doesn't matter if it's the latest version of Toy Story which is a kid's movie, or a drama, such as Eat, Pray, Love; I will be bawling my eyes out. Watch out what you say to me, because if you say the wrong words, I will become hurt and offended. Usually I will act angry and horrified by what was just said, but after I go home and digest the offense, my sensitivity kicks in and that is when the hurt takes over.

Foibles are a way of recognizing the fact that we are human, and they show us that we have feelings. At least that is what my foibles do. However, we never want our foibles to control our lives. We should be in control of the foible. Once one recognizes what type of foible he or she may possess then it becomes easier to control ourselves in difficult situations. For instance, since I know that one of my foibles is sensitivity. I know to be aware of situations that may upset me. Maybe there are certain people I do not get along with, and I know that I am going to have to attend a function where that person will be in attendance. Since this person may have caused me emotional turmoil in the past, I know to be on the defensive when I am around them. I don't have to be cold and callous toward the person, but I can be on the look-out for words that he or she might say to upset me. Through time, I have recognized words people use toward me to get my dander up. Instead of reacting in a negative manner, I have learned to ignore such comments, and now I can change the subject in the blink of an eye.

Don't look at your foibles as a hinderance, but embrace them and learn from them! Be tolerant of other people's foibles. Sometimes, people have foibles, and they do not even realize it. Just remember that everyone is human, and we each make mistakes. Look at foibles as a new learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment