Thursday, February 24, 2011

February 22, 2011

"DON'T BE DISAPPOINTED AT GOOD NEWS!"

This probably sounds silly. You are probably sitting there thinking, "How on Earth could someone be upset or disappointed when receiving good news?" Trust me, my friend, it happens all the time. It happened to me today, and I was very upset with the news I received when in reality I should have been beaming from ear to ear with excitement.

Let me back track a little bit, and let me explain to you what had me so upset. Two years ago, I sustained a back injury from my job, and in those two years the disc herniation I received has gotten worse. There are times when I am in severe pain nonstop for days and sometimes, even weeks. Today I was going to meet with a neurosurgeon to discuss whether or not my back needed surgery. The news I received was not the news I had hoped to hear. I had already planted in my mind that I needed surgery, and that was going to be the end of it, but what the doctor told me was totally different. He told me that I might not need surgery for another 20 years. Now, most people would be thrilled with such news. However, I was extremely disappointed. This news made me second guess all the aches and pains I was feeling in the last two years. This news made me kick myself for spending my family's hard earned money on an MRI that probably was not needed or necessary. I felt I had wasted my husband's time by making him take off work to accompany me to my appointment.

All these thoughts had me angry and irrate at the end of my doctors visit when I should have been feeling relief and happiness. My husband and I drove home the 75 miles from the doctors office in complete silence because I was not in the mood to talk to anyone. In my mind, I was a failure. I had felt that this diagnosis made me look like an idiot, and it made it seem like I was making a mountain out of this injury which should have been a mole hill. Once I calmed down, my husband explained to me what he thought he heard the doctor say. He said that he felt the doctor still viewed my injury as serious, but there was no need to make me go through a surgery that I did not need at this time.

So many people get angry, upset, and disappointed when they receive good news. Please do not make the same mistake I made; enjoy the good news. Look at the good news as a blessing from God instead of viewing it as a waste of time or money on your part. My husband looks at the money we spent on the MRI as money spent for peace of mind. Rejoice in good news and don't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment