Wednesday, February 2, 2011

February 2, 2011

"MAKE A DECISION TO BE HAPPY EVERYDAY REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES YOU MAY BE FACING!"

Did you know that happiness is a choice? It took me nearly 37 years to figure this out. Up until a year ago, I was nearly miserable everyday of my life. I was constantly searching for that "thing" that would make me happy. No matter what I did or tried, and no matter what my husband did to try to make me happy, nothing seemed to work. Everyday was like a mission to find happiness. At first I thought that living in the middle of a busy, crowded town was making me unhappy, so 11 years ago we moved to the country. I was still unhappy. Then I thought maybe it was the vehicle I was driving that made me unhappy, so we would buy new vehicles. Still unhappiness prevailed. So, I thought maybe if I surrounded myself with nice "things," such as artwork or beautiful figurines, I would become happy. Still no change.

Then I started to read some books this past summer, and one in particular changed my life. Spiritual Liberation by Michael Bernard Beckwith changed my attitude toward life. I will never forget the day it happened. It was the end of June, and I was sitting on my deck having a cup of coffee reading this new book that just seemed to jump out at me at the bookstore the day before. Michael Bernard Beckwith's words were mesmerizing me, and it was like a lightbulb went off in my head. I finally got it after 37 years of searching for happiness.

I WAS IN CHARGE OF MY HAPPINESS! It was a choice that I had to make! No one else could make me happy, and happiness was never going to come from inanimate objects. Happiness lives within each person on this planet, and each of us has the ability to be happy or to live a life of misery.

After reading Rev. Beckwith's book, different phrases or quotes would start showing up on my facebook wall that different friends would post. Each quote was relevant to a situation that I may be facing that day. Then one day as I was surfing the web, I found the following quote:

"I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition" (Martha Washington).

So, face each day with a smile no matter what you may be going through. I know some days seem to be more unbearable than others, but if you try to face each of those days with a smile, each day will be that much better. Happiness truly is a choice, so choose to be happy regardless of the struggles you may be facing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment