Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March 16, 2011

"HAVING ENEMIES ISN'T NECESSARILY A BAD THING!"

Today a friend sent me the following Winston Churchill quote, "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." As I started thinking about this quote, it suddenly dawned on me how true this statement truly is. Enemies build our character, and they make us realize how we will not back down from what we believe in. So in essence, enemies are not necessarily a bad thing.

Each person has his or her own set of morals or ideals which help guide us through our lives. What I believe may not necessarily be what my sister, brother, mother, or even husband believes. Just because we think differently than the people around us does not make us bad people.

Last week during the battle I was engulfed in, my adversary said the following phrase to me, "You are who you are, and I cannot fix that." I sit back, and I can now laugh at this statment, because I am fine with who I am, and I do not need any fixing especially from a girl who just started her adulthood. This girl does not even realize it, but she is building my character. She is shaping me into a better person. I have learned from our little spat that just because I am different does not mean that I need to conform to a way of life that does not suit me in order to please a few. If she chooses not to accept me for who I am, then she is loosing out on a great friend.

If you have spent your entire life feeling bad for yourself, because you have acquired a few enemies over the years, start looking at the situation in a new light. Look at these enemies as blessings who are molding you into a better being. In the book, The Power, the author, Rhonda Byrne, calls these kind of people who build our character PETs or Personal Emotional Trainers. These people test us with certain attacks, such as hatred, guilt, or revenge. However, instead of acting in a negative manner, learn from these people and build up your character in a positive way that will outshine their hateful ways. Don't look at your enemies any longer as a bad thing, but embrace them as building blocks for your future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment