Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 8, 2011

"SHOW YOUR MOM LOVE ON MOTHER'S DAY!"

Today is Mother's Day, and today started out wonderful with my husband and son giving me humorous cards first thing this morning in honor of my special day. As the morning wore on, I knew that I was going to have to do something special for my mother on this day. My mom and I have a very strained relationship. I wouldn't call it a love/hate relationship (I probably would have in the past with the emphasis being placed on the hate), but I would call it a stressful relationship. I don't know what it is, but when I get around my mother, I find myself snapping out at her. I blame it on her negativity. However, I made up my mind that I would approach today in a different manner. I read something recently (I don't remember where I read it) that if you pray for extra patience and guidance when  you know you are going to be in a negative person's presence that it will help you get through the situation much easier. So, today while I was picking up my mother's items that she needed at the grocery store, I said small little prayer that went something like this: "Dear Lord, Please help me keep my cool when being around my mother today. I know today is mother's day, so please help me to not snap out at her today."

Guess what??? Today went great! My mother came to my house and hung out with my husband, son and I while we had a barbecue on my back deck. It was nice for a change, and we were actually able to have adult conversations without me snapping out at her. She seemed to be not so critical today and in a much better mood than what she had been two weeks earlier at Easter time. Maybe, she was taking her medication more regularly lately, or maybe, my prayer helped me to be more patient with her and helped me to not take everything she says so personally.

I know how our relationships can be strained with our mothers. I know how difficult it can be to be in the presence of a critical mother. However, these are the women who brought us into this world and who gave us life, so we should be able to at least show a little appreciation one day a year even if we only send a card through mail. I believe today might be a turning point for my mother and me. Maybe we will finally be able to get along without biting each other's heads off when we try to talk to one another. Show your mom some love on Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment