Monday, April 18, 2011

April 15, 2011

"ENJOY ADDED INCENTIVES!"

Today I was working at an elementary school, and the teachers planned a "fun day" for all the students who scored an outstanding on their behavior grade for the last nine weeks. For the last hour of the school day, these students participated in an awards ceremony, and they were treated to organized games on the playground. While observing these children play on this beautiful, spring day, it occurred to me that several of the children were not having a good time. One little girl actually got angry when she had to participate in a game of kickball. Then it dawned on me that I probably would have been one of those children who would have dreaded that afternoon of organized sports.

How many times in our lifetime do we dread added incentives. I was never one who did very well in sports including physical education class, so any added incentive which included sports would have been drudgery for me. I look back at my work years, and I can now see how I never wanted to be involved in any type of group activity outside the work environment. Instead of focusing on something positive, I always dreaded attending extracurricular activities even though at the end of the event it would usually turn out that I had a good time.

Learn to find the positive or the silver lining when it comes to added incentives. These events are created to make an individual feel better about himself or herself. It is to let them know they did a good job. Schools and businesses give their students and employees added incentives to show appreciation for a job well done. Even if sports is not your thing, find something to be grateful for during the event. For instance, be happy that you are outside enjoying the beauty nature has to offer on a beautiful spring day. Enjoy added incentives because they are given to bring joy into our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment