Saturday, April 30, 2011

April 28, 2011

"ACCEPT COMPLIMENTS GRACEFULLY!"

How many times do people give you a compliment and instead of saying thank you, you simply blow it off, or you tell the person that what you may have done was not important? In the past, it was very hard for me to accept a compliment. Sometimes, I did not even recognize when people were complimenting me. I have naturally been very hard on myself most of my life. In the last few years, I have tried to learn to accept compliments gracefully!

When someone gives you a compliment, they are telling you that you did a good job at something or that they appreciate you in some way. You might be thinking, "Well, how do I accept a compliment, because I never know what to say when someone offers me praise?" The only thing you need to say is, "Thank you!"

Just today when I was working with a girl I had never worked with at the local Junior High School, I found myself being bombarded with compliments about how well of a job I was doing. Now, I have received compliments at this school in the past, but it seemed like everyone I spoke to including this young girl was praising me that I would be a good match to work with this young girl one-on-one on a daily basis. These compliments boosted my confidence, because I have been trying to get a full-time position with our local public school district for the last year. However, most of the time, they fill the positions internally rather than hiring a new person to save on the budget. Being passed over time and time again for a full-time job, can be very hard to deal with. Today, I found myself thanking everyone who was giving me positive praise.

Learn to accept compliments gracefully! Sometimes, it takes other people to tell us what a good job we are doing for us to believe that we are good at what we do. Say thank you when praise comes your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment