Saturday, June 18, 2011

June 18, 2011

"BETTER GET TO LIVING!"




This song changed my perspective on life on Christmas morning this past year. Dolly Parton has always been one of my favorite Country performers, and while having dinner at our local Cracker Barrel a few weeks before Christmas, I learned of Dolly's new CD called Backwoods Barbie. In conversation, I happened to mention to my son and husband that I would like to get this new CD one day. Well, on Christmas morning, I found this CD in my Christmas stocking. To add a little fun to the unwrapping of our remaining gifts, I popped my new CD in my CD player, and this song started to play. I immediately was taken aback. It was like Dolly had either slapped me into reality, or she had shaken me, and I had finally woken up. Every word of this song rang true in my ears. I suddenly realized that I had a lot to be grateful for, and my family was extremely blessed!

How many of us truly "live" our lives? How many of us look at our problems as mountains instead of the molehills that they really are? How many of us harbor an unforgiving heart, or hatred, resentment, and bitterness toward people who have hurt us long ago? How many of us are too busy to have a good time? How many of us do not have time for our family members or our friends?

There is a line in this song that says, "The day we're born we start to die, so don't waste one minute of this life...get to livin." If those words are able to penetrate our souls, then we suddenly realize how precious our lives really are! Every minute of every single day is a precious gift, and it is our responsibility not to waste any of those precious minutes which I like to refer to as moments.

So, ask yourself how you would like to start living your life. Do you need to call someone and make peace? Do you want to take your family on an outing and just spend the day together? Do you want to just take the day and have a total 'ME' day? Whatever it is that you want to do; it is totally your decision. However, there is one thing that Dolly says you need to do, "You better get to livin!"

No comments:

Post a Comment