Thursday, June 30, 2011

June 30, 2011

OBSERVE A CHILD AS HE OR SHE ENJOYS THE SIMPLICITY OF LIFE


Whenever I was a child, my brothers and sisters and I always looked forward to one of our appliances breaking. That probably sounds ridiculous for someone to get excited about having to purchase a new appliance, such as a refrigerator or stove. Mom and Dad probably weren't too thrilled about having to make a major purchase, but to us kids, it was amazing when the delivery people would bring that new refrigerator or stove, because back in those days, the appliances came in boxes. I remember when we had to get a new refrigerator, and I kept telling my mom not to let the delivery men take the box, because I wanted to keep it. It was like Christmas morning even though it was in the middle of the summer! I could not wait for them to get that refrigerator out of the box, because that box was soon going to become my mansion! I took a knife (with adult supervision, of course), and I carved out a door and windows, and I had myself the best playhouse a little girl could ever ask for! Watch a child as he or she enjoys the simple things in life!

Over the years, I have witnessed the same thing with my  nieces and nephews. I remember one birthday party when my nephew received a really cool remote control car. His Dad took his car out of the box, tossed the box on the floor, and proceeded to try to get my nephew to play with his new car. However, my nephew had other plans. He crawled over to the empty box and started to parade around the room with the empty box over his head while he was laughing hysterically. 

Now, I am not trying to say that we as adults should get excited about empty boxes! What I am trying to prove here is for adults to get excited about the simple things in life! Learn to enjoy the free things that life has to offer us, such as a smile, a warm embrace, the sun shining on your face, the air refreshing you on a hot summer day, a cool refreshing rainfall, puddles to jump in, a walk in the park, hearing your children laugh as they run around the house with a box over their heads, etc. I think you get the picture! Learn from a child as he or she enjoys the simplicity of life!  

No comments:

Post a Comment