Wednesday, June 8, 2011

June 8, 2011

"YOUR 'WHAT' DOES NOT DEFINE YOUR 'WHO'!

Recently, I read the following statement, "I would rather be hated for who I am than be liked for who I am not." I am not sure who the author is, but isn't this statement powerful! Today while browsing over the status updates on facebook, I noticed this statement; however, it was worded differently which gave it a total different meaning. It said, "I would rather be hated for what I am than for what I am not." Isn't it funny how one little word can change the entire context of information. I had to reply to the girl who posted this statement that our "what" does not define our "who."

Isn't it easy to get what and who confused. When people ask, "Who are you?" What do you usually say? Most people will reply with their job title, such as I am a vice president of a company, I am a teacher, I am a banker, I am this or I am that. Some other people might answer that they are this person's mom or dad or this person's husband or wife or so-and-so's girlfriend or boyfriend. However, these answers do not tell "who" you really are. The answers are merely titles that we have given ourselves to try to describe who we are.

Our "what" sometimes becomes the material objects in our lives, such as our cars, our house or homes, or any of our many other possessions. Have you ever made the comment, "I am the man or woman who drives the such-and-such car" or "I am the man or woman who lives in the house across the street." None of these statements describe our "who."

Who we are should be the person we are on the inside. The person who we are may be the person who helped the neighbor mow his or her lawn last week. The person who we are may be the person who loaned a coworker some money because he or she has been down on their luck lately. The person who we are may have held the door for the little old lady who was struggling to get into the post office today. Who we are may be the person who is determined to help find a cure for cancer. Who we are may be the person who is helping out the homeless shelter during our spare time.

Do not confuse your "who" with your "what." It is so easy to do. I believe that society has gotten so caught up or wrapped up with titles that people have made the mistake of allowing these titles to become their "who." However, these titles are only what a person does for a living. They are not "who" the person truly is!

No comments:

Post a Comment