Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July 13, 2011

CONCENTRATE ON WHAT YOU CAN DO AND NOT SO MUCH ON WHAT YOU CANNOT DO!

Do you give yourself enough credit for what you are good at, or do you focus on what you cannot do or have trouble doing? When I was younger, I didn't let anything hold me back. I remember going on job interviews and telling my hiring manager that I could do anything as long as I was trained properly. However, as the years passed, and I started to get older, I started to tell myself that I could not do this or I could not do that. In the last year, I have been searching for another part-time job or a full-time job. Many jobs have been passed over, because I told myself that I was not qualified for certain positions. What I was doing was concentrating on what I couldn't do instead of focusing on what I could do. Ask yourself what you can do and focus on that. 
Over the years, I have held some really great jobs. My very first job was at a fast food restaurant, and I worked there for five years. While living in New York, I worked at a really awesome bagel shop, and I learned every aspect of running that business. After that I worked three years in the retail business followed by 10 years of owning and operating my own daycare business. For the past three years, I have worked in the education field working in varying places from the local school district to a juvenile detention center. Looking at all these years of experience has led some people to think that I might be qualified for a managerial position.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever consider applying for a management position with any company. Why you might ask? The reason is because I was focusing on what I felt that I could not do instead of looking at the vast amount of experience that I possessed from various roles I have held in the past 20 years. Plus, five years ago, I returned to college, and I earned an Associates Degree in Business Management. Here for the past few years I felt the money I spent on my education was going to be a waste; however, my college education might lead me to a management position. 

If you are stuck in your life, whether finding a career or picking a major in college, start to think about what you are good at. Don't say that you aren't good at anything! We are all good at something even if it is only one thing. Sometimes, we do not give ourselves enough credit for what we can do. Concentrate on what you are good at and focus less on the things you are not so good at! You might even surprise yourself at what you might be qualified to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment