Friday, July 15, 2011

July 15, 2011

GIVE THANKS!


My topic today sounds like something that I should be writing on Thanksgiving Day; however, isn't this a topic we should discuss every single day of our lives. Each and every one of us on this planet have at least one thing to be thankful for, and that is our lives. The fact that we wake up each day breathing is a reason to say "thank you" as soon as your eyes pop open in the mornings. The more "thank yous" we say during the course of our day will determine our gratitude level, and the more gratitude we have the happier we become on a daily basis. Give thanks every day, because there is always something to be thankful for!



Have you given thanks for anything today? I am giving thanks for the money my family made last weekend at our yard sale to keep our bills paid for another month. I am giving thanks that I made enough money in order to call in the exterminator to get rid of our pesky ant problem we have been dealing with for a few weeks. I am thankful I was able to spend the afternoon with my son which included lunch at McDonald's. I am extremely thankful that my family found a great deal on a new mattress for our bed even though we had to return two previous purchases in order to secure the better deal. I am thankful for the time I get to spend with my husband and son at the end of the day. These may seem like petty little things to be thankful for, but the last year and a half of my life has taught me to NEVER take anyone or anything for granted. This past year has shaped me into a better, more loving, and evolved person.

In the book, "Spiritual Liberation" by Michael Bernard Beckwith, Rev. Beckwith teaches us that, "Evolved people give thanks for what most people take for granted." I don't want to be one of those people who go through life so quickly that I forget what truly matters in life. Every tiny aspect of life is important. Most people are too busy rushing through life to even enjoy these things, such as the intelligence which resides within you, the beauty of nature, or even life itself. 

If you are ever having a bad day, which everyone does from time to time, sit back, look around, and count the things that you have in your life that you should truly be thankful for. Then just say them out loud. Thank you for the beautiful day. Thank you for the air that I breathe. Thank you for the house I have in which I reside. Thank you for the car that I am blessed to drive. Thank you for the spouse of my dreams. Thank you for my beautiful child or children. Thank you for my loving pet. Thank you for friends that care. Thank you for my extended family. Thank you for the new job. There are so many things, and I could go on and on, but I think you understand what I am trying to say. Give thanks every single day, because we have so much to be thankful for in our lifetimes!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment