Tuesday, July 19, 2011

July 19, 2011

SHED THE OLD!!!


My topic for today seems like such an odd choice of words, shed the old; however, how many of us hold onto things or people in our lives which we should probably let go of, get rid of, or completely shed them from our existence? In order to move forward in our own lives, we must be willing to shed the old.

Do you ever sit back and analyze your closest friendships? Are they real friendships, or are you hanging onto relationships that are not real or that may have ended a long time ago, but no one wants to admit that the relationship no longer is what it once was. Sometimes, our closest friendships are merely delusions in our own minds. We remember how things used to be, and we don't want to let go of that fantasy. 

In my own personal life, there have been lots of things including friendships that I needed to shed in order to get to where I am today. One friendship in particular comes to mind. I was "best" friends with a girl since the fifth grade which totaled 27 years. Through the years, both my friend and I moved to different parts of the country; however, we kept in touch all those years. When my friend lost her daughter and her father in a car accident three years ago, my family traveled 900 miles and spent money we did not have in order to be there for my friend in her time of need. However, when my husband was diagnosed with cancer, and my family faced our darkest hour, my friend decided to bail from my life. This betrayal hurt me so badly that it took me many months to heal from my loss. This woman was closer to me than my sisters, but she turned her back and walked out of my life. In order to get over the entire situation, I had to shed the old from my life. 

You might be thinking, "Well, how does one shed the old from his or her life?" All I can do is share what helped me get through a dark period in my own life. 

1. I had to stop thinking about my friend.

2. I had to stop talking about my friend.

3. I had to quit reliving the negative experience in my mind.

4. I had to stop mourning over a situation in which I could not change.

5. I had to accept the fact that I had to move on.

6. I had to learn how to say "good bye."



No one likes it when a good friendship ends; however, after the dust settles and you are able to regain your thoughts, you will be able to analyze your friendship. You will be able to recognize if you were holding onto  something which had ended long ago, but you were unwilling to admit. What is it in your life are you holding onto because it is familiar? Change will only take place when we are able to accept that it is time for a change.  When the Universe recognizes that we are ready to shed the old, we will experience things that we never even thought we would be capable of handling on our own. However, these changes will only occur when we are ready, so don't be afraid to shed the old. By doing so, you might be blessed with a brighter tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment