Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 5, 2011

BE BRAVE!

There will come a time in our lives when we will have to face some terrifying situations. Our disposition during these moments will determine how we handle these circumstances. In the past, I have quoted Martha Washington, and I will do so again right now. "For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or happiness is determined not by our circumstances but by our disposition" (Martha Washington). What this great lady was saying was no matter what type of hard times we may be facing, we can get through all the difficulties if we keep positive attitudes. Be brave during difficult situations, do not falter, and learn to be strong.

My family knows first hand about having to be brave! Nearly two years ago when my husband was diagnosed with cancer, our entire family had to learn to be brave, because we had no idea what the outcome of my husband's diagnosis might be. My husband was brave throughout all his chemotherapy and radiation treatments, and he was tremendously brave when he underwent one of the most dangerous operations known to man; a total gastrectomy which is the entire removal of the human stomach. 

Today another member of my family, my son, showed me another level of bravery. Even though he just turned 15 years old, my son had to have oral surgery to remove three wisdom teeth and two additional teeth which should not have been in his mouth. Thinking back to myself having to get three wisdom teeth removed while I was in my early twenties, made me think that my son's experience with this type of surgery was going to be horrible. However, my son showed his brave side, and he reported to me that, "He took it like a man!"



My son and my husband did exactly what Martha Washington spoke of, and I don't think they even realize it themselves what they did. They both kept positive attitudes during difficult times in our lives, they remained upbeat and happy the entire time, and they came out unscathed by any type of negativity or pitfall. They did what they had to do to get through something they may not have wanted to deal with; however, the situations went smoothly, and I would bet to say that the outcome was based on their positive attitudes. Remain brave during difficult periods in your life, and remember that our attitude will determine the end result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment