Tuesday, January 18, 2011

January 18, 2011

"DON'T BE AFRAID TO TAKE A FAMILY SNOW DAY!"

Today, my family and I took a snow day together! My husband scheduled off work in advance in order to accompany me to a medical test I was to have done at our local hospital today. Last night before bedtime, we knew that our son was going to have at least a two-hour delay from school, because our local area was getting pelted with snow and freezing rain. At seven o'clock this morning, the radio dj's announced that our school district was closed, so my son was going to get to come along with my husband and I for my test. My son didn't mind tagging along to the hospital. For a 14 year-old boy, he has seen his fair share of hospitals in the past  year with his Dad being in and out of hospitals due to his cancer treatments and surgery.

My appointment was scheduled for 8:30 a.m., and we were up and ready to go even though it was a snow day. The appointment went well, and we drove across town on slippery, snow-covered, icy roads to our local Cracker Barrel for some scrumptous breakfast! We enjoyed our time together, and my son tried to get one peg in that brain teaser puzzle that was sitting on our table. We delighted in our huge, savory pancakes, wandered through the general store while listening to Dolly Parton singing her Backwoods Barbie cd, then we traveled up the street to do more Christmas shopping. YES! Christmas shopping! One of our stores had a 90% clearance sale off all their Christmas decorations, so we stocked up on wrapping paper, boxes, bows, and even some gifts for Christmas 2011! Our journey continued to a visit to my mom's house. Her birthday was a few weeks ago, and I just recently was able to get out to get her a birthday present. In spite of the bad weather, we traveled to a town 30 miles away in order to do more Christmas shopping. A huge teddy bear store is going out of business, and that is where I got my mom's birthday gifts, and I thought it was a good idea to get some Christmas gifts for this year. However, the store was closed because of the bad weather. So, we ventured back home in time for my son to get 45 minutes of daylight to play in the snow.

My meaning of this post was not to bore you of our events of the day, but to let you know that it is ok to take a family snow day. Snow days are great for family bonding and for making memories. Even though the day started out with a medical test, we were able to enjoy every aspect of the day because we were together! Make memories by enjoying a family snow day!

No comments:

Post a Comment