Tuesday, August 16, 2011

August 14, 2011

CHILDHOOD DREAMS CAN COME TRUE!!!

My family with Catherine Bach (Daisy Duke)
Ben Jones (Cooter) & John Scneider (Bo Duke)

When I was a little girl, I loved the television show, "The Dukes of Hazzard"!!! Every Friday evening at 8 o'clock you would find me plopped in front of our family tv! I told my mom that one day I would meet the two main characters of this tv show, and that I would ride in their famous car, The General Lee! As the years went by, I forgot about my childhood dream of meeting the cast of this tv show. Then about 10 years ago, my family stumbled across a little road side shop called, "Cooter's Place" in Sperryville, Virginia, and it was owned and operated by Ben Jones who played Cooter Davenport, the local mechanic, on The Dukes of Hazzard. Cooter soon started planning reunion get-togethers at his shop which honored the cast and crew of the tv show, and the public was invited to these events. The events in Sperryville were small, and as the years went on they grew so large that Cooter had to find new venues in order to accommodate all the fans. One year the event was held in Bristol, Tennessee, and one of my childhood dreams came true when I met John Schneider who played Bo Duke on The Dukes of Hazzard. Two years later when the event was moved to Nashville, Tennessee, another childhood dream came true when I met Tom Wopat who played Luke Duke. Not only did I meet Tom, but my family also met Ben Jones and had the opportunity to ride in the Genaral Lee! This year, Ben Jones, a.k.a. Cooter, moved the event back to Sperryville, Virginia, and another of my childhood dreams came true! This year I met Catherine Bach who played Daisy Duke on the tv show. Not only did one of my dreams come true, but my husband and son had the opportunity to meet James Best who played Rosco P. Coltrain on the show. 

My son and husband meeting James Best
(Rosco P. Coltrain)

To some people, these childhood dreams of mine might seem silly to want to  meet the cast and crew of a television show. However, this show meant a lot to me, because it was also a show that my Dad enjoyed watching with me. When I go to these events, it makes me remember my Dad who is no longer with us. I think about how he would love to attend these events, meet the cast, and listen to the country music bands that perform. These events are like a big, country festival, and everyone gets along well together like family. 

General Lees!
Hazzard Homecoming
Sperryville, Virginia

When you were a child, did you have a childhood dream that you look back at now, and it seems silly? Your dreams are not silly! Dreams do come true if you do not give up on them. They may not happen overnight, but they will come true if you want them to. It took nearly 30 years for my childhood dream to come true to meet the entire cast of The Dukes of Hazzard, but the most important part is that they came true! Never give up on your childhood dreams! They can come true!

Ben Jones (Cooter) signing autographs
Stella Parton (Dolly Parton's Sister) 
Performing at Hazzard Homecoming!

Some of the cast members of The Dukes of Hazzard!

No comments:

Post a Comment