Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August 31, 2011

LIFE IS NOT AN EMERGENCY!!!


Are you the type of person who goes through life like you are on your way to the emergency room? Are you so intense about getting tasks accomplished that you get frustrated or angry if you have to stop what you are doing in order to do something else? This is how my son was acting tonight right before dinner. He was so involved in putting his game cards into his binder that he got extremely angry when I told him to put them to the side long enough to eat dinner. When I asked him why he was so angry, he told me that he does not like to be interrupted while he is in the middle of doing things. This conversation with my son brought me to our topic of discussion for tonight. Life is not an emergency, so slow down and relax!



I used to be just like my son when it came to getting involved in chores or other things that needed to be done. I remember staying up till 4 am one morning to finish painting my living room walls then I had to be at work by 8 am. Looking back, I now realize how those living room walls could have waited, and I should have went to bed with my husband. I could have finished the walls when I got home from work the next day.



Sometimes, I think that we feel that we need to get everything done right here and right now. However, if you look at the big picture, there is always tomorrow to finish what we started. There is no need to get so bent out of shape if we can't get a task completed that we allow this to ruin our day or evening, because all we focus on is getting our job done. I am not trying to convince people not to finish their duties; however, we, as a society, do need to slow down and realize that if we run out of hours in one day, we have 24 more hours tomorrow to finish what we started today. We do not have to rush through life acting like we are in the middle of a huge emergency. Slow down, relax, and breathe!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment