Tuesday, December 13, 2011

December 13, 2011

BE KIND TO CHILDREN!!! 
THEY TOO FACE ADULT SITUATIONS AT VERY YOUNG AGES!!!


When adults are going through trying times in their lives, many people do not realize the toll that such situations may be taking on their children. For instance, when my husband was diagnosed with cancer, our 13 year old son was facing everything and worrying about the same things we were. And even now that we are a year and a half past my husband's surgery date, and he has been cancer free for that time period, I know that this situation still worries my son who is now 15. Children face the same fears and worries that adults do, so please treat children with respect and kindness. 

Two years ago right after my husband's surgery, I was very troubled when my son came home from school one afternoon and proceeded to tell me that the lunch lady had yelled at him and ripped his lunch out of his hands, because he didn't have enough money in his account to pay for his lunch. With everything that was going on in our personal lives, I had forgotten to write a check for my son's lunch account. I was furious that this woman had yelled at my son when his father was lying in a hospital bed 75 miles away from home, and he was fighting for his life after having major surgery which consisted on having his stomach and half of his esophagus removed. I felt like going into that school and giving that lunch woman a piece of my mind! However, I didn't, but that day made me realize that we as adults have no idea what a child may be going through at home. That is why it is extremely important to always treat children with kindness, especially if you interact with children on a daily basis. 

The reason I decided to write about this topic tonight was because as I was reading over the posts my son was making on his Facebook page, I found a picture that nearly brought tears to my eyes, and that picture confirmed that my son still worries about his father. The picture was a lady who clearly had cancer, because she had no hair, and the caption read "Please repost if you wish cancer did not exist!" I suddenly realized that even though my family is through the worst part of my husband's illness, my son still thinks and worries about cancer. 

So many children face adult situations at very young ages, so please treat them with kindness, respect, and love!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment