Wednesday, December 28, 2011

December 28, 2011

STOP!!!
YOU CANNOT FORCE PEOPLE TO LIKE YOU!!!

Do you struggle with certain relationships? Do you find yourself going out of your way in order to get certain people to like you? I have been going around this mountain for 21 years with certain people in my husband's family. My husband and I have gotten into arguments over his family's lack of interest in me and their unwillingness to allow me to be part of the family. He has told me over and over again that I cannot force people to like me, and I believe after 21 years his words are starting to sink in. Regardless of how good of a person we might be, there are going to be people in this world who do not want to have anything to do with us, so STOP trying to force these people to like you!!!

Some people can only see us by the mistakes we have made in the past. Some people may view us through our religious status or nationality. Some people will not like us because of the choices we make in life. Some people may simply not like us because they feel threatened by us in some way. It doesn't matter the reason why these people walk away from us, but we need to have the strength to let them walk.

The other evening my husband asked me why it bothered me so badly that his sister and niece have me blocked on Facebook, and I could not give him an answer. I simply did not know why it bothers me so badly. I started to ask myself questions, for instance, did I once have a close relationship with these people? The answer was no. Then I asked myself, Why do these people's opinions of me matter? And I suddenly realized that their opinions of me should not matter. I have been allowing a few people's opinions of me wreck havoc on my marriage and my life. I need to stop trying to force these people to like me, because their feelings for me will never change. The best thing I can do is let the situation alone and move on with my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment