Tuesday, October 25, 2011

October 25, 2011

PRACTICE COMMON COURTESY!!!


As I was driving home from picking up my son after school, I realized that not too many people practice common courtesy any longer. As I was trying to pull out of the parking lot of our local post office, five cars pulled in without letting me out. The parking lot is very narrow, so it would be a lot easier to get into it if you let the people out who are waiting to leave. However, I sat there and counted five cars pull in, and not one of them offered me the courtesy to go out before they pulled in. Am I the only person who recognizes that there is a lack of common courtesy in our society in the 21st century? Learn to practice common courtesy, and maybe together we can help change the world. 


What is common courtesy? Well, the courtesy I usually give to others are things like holding the door for them, allowing them to go ahead of me in the checkout line if they only have a few items, letting someone go ahead of me if we pull up to a four-way stop sign at the same time, and allowing others to pull out of the post office parking lot so I can pull in more easily. These are just a few examples, and I am sure you can think of many more. 


What is going on with people in the world these days? It seems people are in so much of a rush getting to where they are going that they no longer want to participate in acts of courtesy. Are we living in such a "ME" world that others and their feelings no longer matter? I am not liking what I am seeing while out and about in our communities, and maybe, if we each start showing a little more kindness each day by practicing some common courtesy, maybe we can make the world a better place!

No comments:

Post a Comment