Friday, October 7, 2011

October 7, 2011

ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITIES ARE GOLDEN!!!


How many times in your life have you walked away from once in a lifetime opportunities? When I was a senior in high school, my class's senior trip was to Los Angeles, California. This was a big deal to a country girl from a small town in rural Pennsylvania. In the past, the senior trips had been to Orlando, Florida to Disney World; however, my class had to be rebels and we voted to go somewhere different than the previous classes, and Los Angeles was the winner. Coming from a poor family, I decided I wasn't going to attend the class trip, because my family could not afford the $600 it cost to attend. However, my friends talked me into selling fundraiser merchandise in order to raise the money for the trip. I raised every penny for that trip myself except for $50 which my Dad chipped in. 



This story popped into my head today when my son was presented with his own once in a lifetime opportunity. My son was invited to study in China this coming summer. My husband got extremely excited when he read the invitation my son received through the mail. Even though I am a bit apprehensive about sending my son half way across the world, I am willing to go the meeting about this incredible opportunity. My son would have the chance to see sites that my husband and I may never be able to take him to see, such as The Great Wall of China and the Terra Cotta Soldiers. 



I am not sure if my family will be able to afford to send my son on this educational excursion; however, we are extremely honored that one of my son's teachers took the time to nominate him for this program. If my son decides he would like to go then he will have to do fundraisers in order to earn the money to attend the trip. Once in a lifetime opportunities may only happen once, so it is up to you if you want to seize the day and take advantage of the golden moment!




No comments:

Post a Comment